Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Gun Ownership Does Not Correlate with Suicide Rates

This article reviews multi-national comparisons of gun ownership and suicide rates, finding no relationship.

Friday, September 7, 2007

Suicidality Correlates With Quality of Life Rating

This study tested the hypotheses (1) middle aged and older patients with schizophrenia, depressive symptoms and suicidality would exhibit worse quality of life and worse everyday functioning, social skills and medication management relative to those without suicidality; (2) higher levels of suicidality would be significantly associated with worse functioning, worse quality of life and older age.

It showed only quality of life scores predicted suicidality, but not performance skills, social skills, nor medication management skills.

Thursday, September 6, 2007

Suicide Rate Increases for Girls

This sharp increase coincides with the deterrence of anti-depressant use by the totally irresponsible black box warning. I demand the FDA Psychopharmacology Advisory Committee and the FDA Commissioner resign. I demand the two members who voted against the warning resign as well for failing to stop their irresponsible co-members.

Tuesday, September 4, 2007

Survey Shows Black Box Warning Deters 40% of Clinicians

The August, 2007, Neuropsychiatry Reviews, (p. 1, 24) reports on a survey conducted by Tim Petersen. About 40% of psychopharmacology clinicians, treating children and adolescents felt discouraged from prescribing anti-depressants, directly because of the FDA black box warning of 2004 and of 2007. On the other hand, 60% felt anti-depressants helped with suicidality. Although this survey was informal, and unscientific, it still indicates the adverse impact on specialists.